About Erasmus+



Erasmus+ is the European Commission's mobility programme for students and staff. It enables students to study or work abroad for part of their degree. Students can travel to study abroad for as little as 3 months (or just 2 months for work placements, called 'traineeships') or go away for up to a full academic year. As part of the programme, students can receive a grant to help cover travel and living expenses while abroad. 

Where can you go?

As Erasmus+ is funded by the European Commission, most of the 32 other participating countries (and universities) are in Europe, including European countries that are not members of the European Union, eg Iceland and Turkey. The programme is also opening up opportunities to some countries outside of Europe from 2015. As universities are responsible for administering Erasmus+ placements, and design degree programmes to incorporate a relevant overseas placement, the countries accessible from each degree programme will vary. Contact your own institution for details of which countries they partner with for each subject or discipline.

Who can go?

The programme is open to all UK higher education students at undergraduate and postgraduate level. Part-time students can also participate as long as they study full-time during their period abroad.

How much will it cost?

Erasmus+ students do not pay tuition fees to the overseas university. Students who go abroad for a full academic year will have their annual tuition fees to their home university capped at 15% although some universities waive the tuiton fee completely for a full year abroad. Students who study abroad for less than a year may have to pay a proportion of the annual tuition fee, depending on the length of time they are overseas. Check with your own university for details.

Erasmus+ students usually receive a grant, which is additional to any other grants or maintenance loans they receive from UK funding sources. It's a grant, not a loan, so it doesn't have to be paid back. The grant amount depends on the destination country and the activity (eg study or traineeship). There is also additional funding for disabled students and students from lower income households. 

The grant amount varies each year, and may also be different depending on whether you do a study or work placement. Individual higher education institutions will be able to advise their students what is available in any given year.

Does my higher education institution take part?

All UK universities and many other institutions are involved with the Erasmus+ programme. The best way to find out if Erasmus+ placements and exchanges are offered on a particular course is to speak to your institution directly. They will let you know how to apply. A list of university and college study abroad contact details can be found on this page of our website.

Can I find out if the institution I am applying to offers Erasmus+ on my course?

If you're just choosing your higher education options for next year, and want to choose a course that offers study abroad, you can also search the UCAS website for full time courses that offer study abroad options.


Photo Credit: CCO Public Domain Pixabay